Where and How to Update Your Address When Moving

Apartment Hunting

Once all the “fun” of moving subsides – and you’ve finally got the Wi-Fi up and running – it’s time to focus on one of the most important details following a move to a new rental: updating your home address. Gather and create a list of the services you use, because they will likely require you to change your address. Get everything settled quickly with these tips:

Contact the Post Office

When moving locations and changing addresses, always start with the place you get your mail from. You can make the update yourself on USPS.com for a small fee, or you can go in person to the local post office and do it for free. You’ll be responsible for setting the specific start date to get your mail forwarded – but there’s a time limit attached. First-class mail, express mail, and packages can be forwarded to your new home for up to 12 months, while your favorite cooking magazine and newspaper have a 60-day limit. In order to change your address with the post office, you’ll need to fill out Form 3575 to complete the request.

Follow Up with Government Agencies

Be sure to notify federal and state government agencies regarding your change of address. You’ll be asked to complete Form 882 for the IRS. State governments have their own processes which can be found online on their associated websites. And if you receive benefits from social security, update your address at the nearest Social Security Administration office so you don’t miss a paycheck.

Check with Your Bank and Financial Institutions

Make a list of all the banks and financial institutions you do business with – don’t forget to include loan providers, credit card companies, retirement advisors, and investment firms. Updating your accounts at these organizations can typically be done online or over the phone. It’s especially important to do these early so you can continue monitoring your accounts, as well as have your tax documents delivered to your home on time during tax season.

Connect with Health Professionals, Service Providers, and Your Employer

Updating your address with health professionals, service providers, and your employer can keep you in constant communication regarding your health records and appointments, apartment utilities , and status of pay and insurance benefits. Here are some examples that will require a change of address:

  • Insurance (health, car, renter’s )
  • Doctor (internal medicine, pediatrician, etc.)
  • Dentist
  • Veterinarian
  • Utility Service Providers (gas, electric, cable, Internet, etc.)
  • Employer

Update Driver’s License and Vehicle Registration

Don’t forget that when you move, you’re responsible for updating your driver’s license. Most states allow new residents to make the change within 30 days of moving . Some cities might allow you to change the address online, while others may need you to come into the Department of Motor Vehicle office with proof of address (bill, junk mail, copy of lease, etc.). You will also need to register your vehicle if you move counties. New residents can do this by looking online at their local county clerk’s website and following the given steps.

Advise Friends and Family

Your family and friends want to know when and where you’re moving to. Send out moving announcements to the ones you love most, whether it’s by email or text, a status posting about how great your new city is, or a moving announcement card! And if you go the social media route, don’t actually blast your street address. Simply text or private message those closest to you with the street and unit number. You know, safety is important.
There you have it! Updating your address isn’t difficult, but it does take some time when compiling all the services you use into one nice, easy-to-read spreadsheet. We hope you found this article helpful, and we wish you the best in your new home, condo, or apartment!
The original article was published June 1, 2017 and has since been updated.